OWIS IB PYP
At One World International School, we offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP) for students aged 3 - 12. This curriculum empowers students to take ownership of their learning through inquiry. The IB PYP prepares children for subsequent IB programmes and lays the foundation for students to become global citizens and leaders.
This comprehensive approach also provides opportunities for teachers to collaborate so that they can hone their craft by staying current on best practices and innovative methods and learning new, creative ways to incorporate them into their classrooms. Our dynamic campus, with its flexible learning spaces and cutting-edge facilities, provides an ideal setting to implement the IB PYP.
Primary Years Programme
Just what is the IB PYP? Essentially, this engaging, student-centred curriculum teaches children to become independent, lifelong learners and critical thinkers by asking questions and seeking the answers. Its transdisciplinary framework allows students to explore various topics across subject areas, rather than merely memorising facts or studying topics in isolation. This makes it possible for students to expand their skills and knowledge and apply them in real-world contexts.
The IB PYP curriculum supports the whole child, nurturing students' academic, social and emotional development. This all-encompassing framework also focuses on international-mindedness and universal values, key characteristics of dynamic citizens and leaders.
The IB PYP consists of 5 crucial elements that students need for lifelong learning and success:
By emphasising these 5 components, the PYP provides a rigorous programme for young learners, equipping them to excel in the classroom and beyond. This framework ensures that learning is engaging and relevant to the challenges of living in a diverse, 21st-century society.
The IB PYP curriculum offers several advantages over other frameworks, especially in critical subject areas. According to an International Schools' Assessment study conducted from 2009-2011, IB PYP students outperformed their non-PYP counterparts in reading, writing and mathematics. In a 2014 Australian study, PYP students surpassed the national average in nationwide science tests.
IB PYP OWIS Curricula Offering
Our OWIS Primary Years Programme provides a host of opportunities to help students become well-rounded leaders and innovators of tomorrow. Here are just a few examples of how we put the PYP into practice:
- Service projects encourage children to get involved in the surrounding community, where they learn the value of serving others and making a difference.
- Exhibitions and other special events foster teamwork and communication whilst enabling students to showcase their skills and talents.
- Students learn to be responsible stewards of the environment by participating in initiatives aimed at conserving precious natural resources.
- Students complete research and other projects using iPads, laptops and other devices. This teaches them not only to use technology responsibly but to become more adaptable as it continues to evolve.
- Organised sports, class discussions and other collaborative activities help students appreciate different roles and perspectives, instilling in them a sense of respect for themselves and others.
- Teachers take students' interests into account when planning the curriculum, empowering them to ask questions and take initiative to discover the answers.
- Students explore topics across different subject areas. For example, a unit on sharing the planet might include science lessons on natural resources, social science lessons on communities and interdependence and mathematics lessons on calculating population growth.
If you would like to see the OWIS Primary Years Programme in action, contact us to book a tour. You will be able to meet with our teachers and discover how our holistic approach sets the stage for your child to thrive. We look forward to welcoming you to our vibrant OWIS community.