At One World International School, we believe that parents are a critical part of our students' overall growth, and our school community thrives because of the strong partnership between our parents, students and teachers.
Information for Parents
We provide several opportunities to get involved in what's happening at OWIS. We invite parents to join our Parents and Friends Committee (PFC). This group's primary focus centres around supporting the learning community, welcoming new parents and getting a consensus about what to discuss at monthly meetings with the School Principal. PFA members form committees and work together to plan school events and collaborate with charities in the community to promote various causes. We encourage parents to serve wherever their skills and interests lead them. There's no "one-size-fits-all" approach to participating in the PFA; parents can commit as much time as their busy schedules allow, and no contribution is "too small."
We also appreciate the role parents play in supporting their child's education. We invite parents to attend school-wide events and to visit classrooms and talk to our teachers whenever they have questions or concerns.
In addition to parents school organisations to foster parent involvement, we provide multiple channels of communication to engage our school community.
- Our primary school teachers are available every weekday morning at 8:25, and at the end of the day, for parents who want to approach them about making an appointment or to discuss their child's performance.
- Because we recognise that parents may not always be able to connect with us in person, we also encourage them to reach out to teachers via email.
- For early childhood and primary students, we maintain a digital portfolio called Seesaw, consisting of photographs and videos. Your child's teacher will give you a unique access code and password so you can monitor your child's progress in real-time.
- For our secondary students, we use a leading online learning platform called ManageBac, which is designed for international schools. This platform optimises communication between teachers and students and includes a special calendar just for students. This platform also features a Parent Portal that enables parents to track their children's performance and learn about upcoming events.
- We also have an active social media presence to keep members of our school community current about what's happening at our various campuses. Following us on Facebook , Twitter and LinkedIn allows families of potential new students to learn more about us and our unique approach. Here, we report on new additions to our blog, recent school events and activities the whole family can enjoy together.
- Parents can consult our academic calendar to find out about upcoming holidays and when new terms begin and end.
- Academic integrity and transparency are extremely important to us. In keeping with those values, our Principal and classroom teachers submit weekly updates to our community portal. We send these posts via email to ensure that families know about upcoming school events and other activities.
Getting Your Students Prepared
We recognise that much of what parents do to support the learning process happens 'behind the scenes," as they work with their children at home to reinforce what's being taught in the classroom. Parents of international school students have the additional challenge of helping their child adjust to a new country and culture, and this is vital in supporting students' transition to a new school setting.
At OWIS, parent involvement is key to our continued success. Visit our vibrant campus to see for yourself what the overall OWIS experience is like and why parents and students are so enthusiastic about promoting our mission.